Dear SCA families,
I love the start of the school year. It was great to see everyone back on Monday, refreshed and ready for all this year will bring. The staff have been here for nearly two weeks now, working hard to ensure every student has many great learning experiences.
I offer a warm welcome to all of our new staff, students and families. It’s great to have you as a member of our St Clare’s family. I hope your time with us is rewarding and enjoyable.
Whether you are a student or parent, guardian or grandparent, a new family or returning one, I look forward to the contribution you will each make this year. I also offer you my full support and invite you to contact me should you wish to discuss any matter.
Annual Improvement Plan
You may be interested in our strategic priorities for 2021. Staff will continue to work hard in all areas, however, we will especially focus on three priorities this year:
Our Vision is to Be the Light.
Our Mission is to be leaders in faith, learning, community and leadership, so that every person in our school is able to do the best they can to contribute to the growth and wellbeing of students.
Key Improvement Goals
- Improve student engagement and achievement in English
- Improve student engagement and achievement in Mathematics
- Build student learning self-efficacy.
Staff Are Learners Too…
I would like to acknowledge the dedication of all staff during the last couple of weeks. There have been endless hours of planning programs, updating information and preparing classrooms to ensure that your children have a smooth start to the 2021 school year. Staff have also been involved in professional learning, reflection and dialogue, and we are looking forward to implementing some great new initiatives.
Attached to the Newsletter is a full staff list for 2021.
Welcome to Kayla Murray, Helen Hamilton, and Brigitte Sutcliffe who join our staff this year. It’s also great to have Leanne Lowe and Jess Curtis back after being on leave for various periods of time.
Parent Information Night and Meet and Greet – For all families
All families are encouraged to join us next Tuesday 9th February. Our format this year will be the same as we introduced last year.
5.00 – 6.00pm Sausage Sizzle under the Hayshed
6.00 – 6.25pm Classroom Information (session 1)
6.30 – 7.00pm Classroom Information (session 2)
Following the sausage sizzle, each classroom teacher will present an overview of their classroom and the significant events and happenings for 2021. To cater for parents with more than one child, teachers will repeat the session at 6.30. (For families with more than two children it may not be possible, unless two parents split up, to attend a session for each class. Please feel free to contact the teacher with any questions or concerns you may have.)
This is a great way to meet your child’s teacher and get to know other families. All welcome.
If any parents can assist with cooking sausages, it would be greatly appreciated, please contact the Front Office on 6294 1860.
Parents of 4 Red please note: Mrs Priscilla Caragh is not able to be present on Tuesday 9th. She will instead run an information session on the following evening, Wednesday 10th February at 6.00pm. We hope that this does not cause too much inconvenience.
COVID Safe Protocols for the Evening
- Upon arrival on Tuesday evening, all adults must register using the “Check In CBR” app.
- Adults, who are not of the same family, should keep 1.5m between themselves and other adults.
- Please bring your own drink bottles, as shared water facilities are not appropriate.
- Food will be distributed by volunteers. This is to avoid people gathering in queues.
- Please use hand sanitiser when entering each classroom.
Newsletter every Wednesday!
The newsletter will come via the School Zine app (SZapp) each Wednesday I encourage all families to install the School Zine app on your smart phone or Tablet.
Please update your preferences to ensure you receive messages for the correct class and year level. This is done by opening the Schoolzine app, going to the ‘manage’ tab, and sliding on the appropriate buttons.
A reminder that the calendar is available online through the School App and Website (https://www.sca.act.edu.au/) .
We are on Facebook. Search for @scaconder on Facebook.
Our school’s safety plans rely on us having correct and up to date contact and medical details for every child. Please ensure you inform the school of any updated personal information as a matter of priority.
Please note that on Thursday this week we will conduct our first evacuation drill for the year. Teachers will assure the students of their safety, and that it is just a drill. To help alleviate any potential anxiety, I encourage parents to speak with children about the positive aspects of a drill before Thursday.
School Fees and Remissions
School fee invoices will be sent home shortly. Parents facing real difficulties paying are encouraged to apply for fee remissions. Any applications for fee relief must be made annually. Forms are available from the front office.
Finally, I thank you for your efforts in preparing your children so well for what has been a smooth start to the year. We look forward to the year ahead and I wholeheartedly offer my support to you as we work together in the education of your child.
It was once said…
God’s word is a lamp to my feet and light to my path. Psalm 119
Blessings to you and your family.
Please take a moment to read.
- Starting time is 8.45am sharp. Students arriving late will need to be signed in at the Front Office.
- Supervision commences at 8.30am and no student should be at school before 8.30am. Students arriving before 8.30am are unsupervised. Please use before school care if necessary.
- A student’s hair should be cut off their face and, if longer than shoulder length, it must be tied back in an appropriate school coloured band. Hair should also be of natural colour and extreme haircuts are not permitted.
- No jewellery should be worn to school and only plain studs, small sleepers and watches are acceptable. No bracelets, bangles, sparkly ear rings, nail polish, make up, etc are allowed.
- Correct School Uniform must be worn at all times. Students who continually wear incorrect uniform will receive a reminder note to be sent home to their parents.
- St Clare of Assisi has a NO HAT NO PLAY Policy. Students without a correct school hat will be asked to sit in the shade.
- Black ‘jogger’ or canvas type school shoes are not part of the school uniform. The only school shoes allowed at St Clare’s are the traditional or formal black leather school shoes.
- Students with Mobile Phones are asked to switch the phone off and leave it in their bags. If mobile phones are heard or sighted during school time they will be confiscated. The School takes no responsibility for lost or broken mobile phones.
- Students who are collected by their parents during the day for appointments must be signed out/in at the Front Office before and after the appointment.
- Parents visiting the school to assist are required to have a Working with Vulnerable People Card and are also asked to sign in at Front Office and receive a Visitors Badge.
- Please ensure the School always has up to date contact and emergency details for your children.
- Medical details must be updated and sent to the Front Office.
- St Clare of Assisi is a NUT FREE School. Please remember this when preparing recess and lunch, including peanut butter, Nutella, cakes with nuts, etc.
- Dogs are not allowed on school premises.
- Afternoon messages regarding changes to the afternoon routine must be received by the Front Office by 2.20pm or we cannot guarantee your child/ren will receive the message.
- Carpark - Please remember to be patient and considerate of others when driving in the car parks. School carparks are notoriously dangerous and ALL PARENTS are asked to be patient and alert. If you are in a hurry, collect your children early or wait until after 3.10pm when the carpark is less congested.
- TURN LEFT when exiting the school entrance as this keeps the traffic flowing.
- Absences from school – it is a legal requirement that all absences are explained. Please notify the school of your child’s absence by either :
- Using the App
- Calling the Front Office;
- Emailing the Front Office at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your child’s name, class, reason for absence and date.
- Sending a note to the classroom teacher indicating date and reason for absence.
- Canteen Ordering - Canteen ordering is only via the Qkr! App. Please see school website for instructions
The school will need to contact parents urgently for a variety of reasons. Please make sure that your contact details are up to date and that you have let us know of any additional daytime phone numbers you may have - mobile phone, work, etc. If you are moving you also need to let us know. You can update all details by SZapp or emailing email@example.com
Going home next week through your child's bag will be a Student Information Checklist for Families form, these need to be returned in a timely manner with any amendments and corrections. Please keep an eye out.
When your child is enrolled at St Clare of Assisi, we will seek information from you which will enable us to act, as far as possible, in accordance with your wishes in instances of an accident or illnesses involving your child. It is essential for your child’s protection and ours, that we are fully aware of necessary treatment and medication requirements. Please ensure that all medical information is current and up to date. Where medical conditions or allergic reactions exist, we ask that parents complete the appropriate forms available on our website under ‘PARENTS - NOTES’ or from the school office as soon as possible.
All medication brought to school must be in the original packaging with the pharmacy label, clearly stating the student’s name and dosage. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this.
Hello, welcome to a new school year, and a special welcome to Defence families and students that are new to our wonderful community.
I am the new Defence School Mentor at SCA, and I look forward to working with our Defence students and their families this year. I have been a Defence spouse for 20 years, and have been associated with SCA both as a parent and staff member for the past 7 years.
I will be at the SCA Welcome BBQ and Parent Information night next Tuesday 9 February from 5pm, so please come along and say hello.
If you are an existing Defence family but have not yet notified the school please let us know. Keep an eye out for upcoming Defence dates throughout the term, I am looking forward to meeting our kids and families!
The Athlete's Foot
“Our local ‘go to’ school shoe store The Athlete’s Foot Canberra, Woden and Tuggeranong would like to extend a massive thank you to all families who shopped with them over the December/January period, furthermore, they would like to remind us about our involvement in their School Rewards Program. That is, for every pair of school shoes one of our students purchases from their store, we receive $5 back from them! This program runs year round, so be sure to always let them know your school when shopping with them so they can link us to your families membership and continue being a part of their generous program!”